Skip to content

Cart

Your cart is empty

The MADAJ

DIAMOND FULL GUIDE

The unique chemical makeup and crystalline structure of a diamond set it apart as a singular entity within the realm of minerals.

Diamond stands alone as the sole gem composed of a single element, with its makeup being approximately 99.95 percent carbon. The remaining 0.05 percent can consist of one or more trace elements - atoms that don't contribute to the essential chemistry of the diamond. However, these trace elements can potentially affect the diamond's color or the shape of its crystal.
Diamonds are the hardest material on earth: 58 times harder than anything else in nature.
The average yield in most diamond mines is 1 part diamond to 1 million parts host rock.

WHAT'S THE 4CS ?

Similar to how each human fingerprint is unique, every diamond also has its own distinct attributes.

The four key criteria :
Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carat weight, collectively known as the 4Cs are the universally acknowledged measures for appraising a diamond's quality.

Color

The value of a diamond rises with the decrease in observable color, meaning that the most valuable diamonds are those closest to being colorless.

Clarity

In the world of gemology, "clarity" is a term used to describe the absence or presence of flaws, called inclusions and blemishes, within or on the surface of a diamond.

Carat Weight

The weight of diamonds is quantified in metric carats, abbreviated as "ct" with one carat equaling 0.2 grams or 200 milligrams.

Cut

The cut of a diamond not only dictates its shape but also its brilliance and sparkle. A well-cut diamond has the power to exhibit remarkable brilliance.

DIAMOND COLOR SCALE

Diamond Color

Color of diamonds revolves around the absence of color.
The value of a diamond rises with the decrease in observable color, meaning that the most valuable diamonds are those closest to being colorless.

This rule generally doesn't apply to fancy color diamonds, like pink and blue varieties, which are outside the standard color range.

The majority of diamonds showcased in jewelry shops range from being colorless to near-colorless, often exhibiting subtle undertones of yellow or brown.

DIAMOND CLARITY SCALE

Diamond Clarity

Clarity is a term used to describe the absence or presence of flaws, called inclusions and blemishes, within or on the surface of a diamond.
These marks can impact the overall appearance and value of the diamond. 

The Gemological Institute of America (GIA), one of the most renowned and respected authorities in gemology, has a specific grading system for diamond clarity.

The GIA Diamond Clarity Scale has six categories, some of which are divided further, for a total of 11 specific grades.

DIAMOND CUT SCALE

Diamond Cut

The diamond's cut greatly affects its brilliance and value. A well-cut diamond maximizes light refraction and reflection, enhancing sparkle. Poor cuts cause light leakage, dulling the stone. While color and clarity matter, cut quality is paramount, even elevating lower-grade diamonds. Additionally, "cut" denotes the diamond's shape, with fancy cuts like marquise, princess, and pear offering unique aesthetics.

DIAMOND CARAT WEIGHT

Diamond Carat Weight

Carat weight, crucial in diamond valuation, reflects size. Diamonds are precisely measured in metric carats (0.2 grams), with significant price variations even for small weight differences. A single carat equals about the weight of a paperclip, and a carat is divided into 100 points for ultra-precise measurements, influencing the diamond's value.